the secret

The secret to a life beyond mediocrity begins with correct spelling...

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Birthday Factor

I'm annoyed tonight. I am disappointed because I set something up in my head that was supposed to go the way I wanted it to, but it didn't. It actually fell asleep at 7:45pm, annoyed, and not talking to me.

I turned 28 yesterday. Even though I am past the years when driving down Speedway looking for boys was cool or staying up past 10pm was possible, I still have a twinge of excitement in my heart that, on my birthday, fun and unexpected surprises await. I am an adult. I am becoming freakishly old, but I still harbor birthday magic in my heart.

Last night I went out with 5 of my girlfriends who I rarely see. I dislike the feeling that I am only able to hold on to my friendships via Facebook. How sad is it that I am so busy that I don't see my close friends but once a month, and hang out with them even less than that? Depressing, lonely picture aside, last night was more about seeing my friends than it was about my birthday. Although the food took too long to come out and the waitress spent more of her time singing opera to the other customers than necessary, I didn't mind. I was secretly enjoying the fact that I was able to spend 2 1/2 hours laughing, talking and rolling my eyes at my friends.

Even though I wouldn't have cared either way, I was very touched that my friends gave me a few presents and cards. Gifts aren't a big deal to me, but it truly made me feel loved that they thought about me and made my day special.

Do you know what I asked my parent's for, for my birthday? I totally asked to go to Costco and buy a bunch of stuff. I miss buying in bulk apparently. Food, glorious food!....and toilet paper!...diapers! 5 tubes of toothpaste! 1000 capsules of Tylenol! Oh sweet shopping spree Batman, it's going to beautiful.

Tomorrow is the long-awaited weigh in. Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment